“I love your shoes!!!” I have heard women use those words on my friend Okafor, more times than I can remember. And for a long time I thought it was because he was a Nigerian, and you know how kenyan women are with those guys. No offence nor pan intended.
I remember some years back, I was still a young boy with an appetite for life. I loved shopping. I still do, but not with the same vigor and attitude that I possessed back then. So I went and made myself a legal or should I say illegal owner of a number of clothes, some of them designers from the likes of, Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci and Balmain. Courtesy of a wrong mobile money transfer from an unknown number. Don’t judge me, I bet you’ve benefited from the same, if not, you’ve thought about it, which makes you just as guilty.
Anyway I know that might seem like a good thing, a blessing even, but far from it. Something tragic also happened on that day. I forgot or rather, my cash ran out before I could buy SHOES!!! Please don’t laugh coz it not funny. Really!!! It’s not, at least not after you hear my predicaments thereafter.
Given the only thing I lucked were SHOES, I used the little money I had to buy some cheap ones. Two pairs to be exact. That was the beginning to my end!!! That’s the day I noticed women start looking at you from your feet up, and not vice versa. And you can imagine the disaster they found when they did that to me. I’ve purposely choose not to mention the culprits for reasons of confidentiality. Something was obviously amiss. Cool outfits, wrong shoes.
I don’t want to continue with my sad narrative, coz trust me the rest of it is too embarrassing, I’m sure you already have the picture, but just so you know, I got no lady as I had initially positively anticipated, and the only one that talked to me, simply wanted one of my designer shirts for her brother, can you imagine!!! So sick!!! Right!!!! No mercy nor remorse at all. Pure cold blooded.
That incidence drove me to find out exactly, what’s women with men shoes? What is it that they see when they look at them? Or is it simply something they use as an ice breaker to conversations? What I found blew my mind.
Women are capable of reading a lot from your shoes. They take a quick glance at them and immediately, you either score of loose points. Note, good SHOES is not a guarantee thou’ that you’ve nailed it, far from it. You have to complete the puzzle with the right outfit. Yes! It’s a good appetizer. But don’t raise the lady’s appetite only to spoil it with something weird up stairs. You make her think, you either borrowed the clothes or worse, you shop lifted them.
Shoes are the foundation to a man’s dressing. They tell a lady whether you are fashionable, stable, trustworthy, spendthrift, handy, caring, stingy, talented, sporty and so much more. Like my friend Okafor, the ladies loved him. Not that he was a smooth operator, or something, quite the contrary. He simply invested in good shoes and took his time looking after them.
Due to the seriousness of the matter I took my time to sample a few shoes and what women see when they spot you in them.
1. Desert boots: A woman is able to deduce that you are a guy whose detailed but not at all flashy.
2. Driving mocks: This ones the lady will simply glance once and know that you are a guy who knows style, but at the same time is capable of high maintenance because those things require some tender love and care, believe me.
3. Sandal with socks: Haha! Please just allow me to laugh first. Frankly, personality I hate these staff, I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing them. But for the ones who do, this is what a woman will see, lazy! Lazy! Lazy! Please for heaven’s sake don’t ever try it!!!
4. Lace-up Oxfords: Damn! I really lovee these niggas. If you do too, then the next time you wear them this is what she will see, that you are a gentleman, and not just a gentleman but one who means business, interesting right! hehe!!!
5. Air Jordan: now as much as I love these shoes I hardly wear them, in fact I can’t remember when last I owned them, so if you are looking for a gift for me, you’ve just found one. So what do they see in these babies: They see that you are a serious sneakers head, who can easily stand her up just because you were in line waiting for the latest arrivals.
Let just leave it there for today, I will tell you more about other types of shoes later including those converse you love so much, timberlands, Sperry boat shoes and so on, you can even comment with suggestions.
PS. The next time you want to shop, please start with nothing else but SHOES! SHOES! SHOES!! And do take a lady friend with you, she’ll come in handy believe me.
As the saying goes “ a man is only as good as the SHOES he wears.”